Change of Name
PLEASE NOTE: In accordance with the Order of the Court, a party or representative of a party may appear in Department 18 in person or remotely by Zoom, a web conferencing platform. However, appearances by Zoom are STRONGLY encouraged. Whether a party or their representative will be appearing in person or by Zoom must be part of the notification given to the Court and other parties as stated below.
The Court’s Official Court Reporters are “not available” within the meaning of California Rules of Court, Rule 2.956, for court reporting of civil cases.
Court Call is not permitted for this calendar.
If the tentative ruling does not require appearances and is accepted no appearance is necessary.
Any party who wishes to be heard in response or opposition to the Court’s tentative ruling MUST NOTIFY the Court’s Judicial Assistant by telephone at (707) 521-6723 and MUST NOTIFY all other parties of your intent to appear, and whether that appearance is in person or via Zoom, no later 4:00 p.m. the court (business) day immediately preceding the day of the hearing.
Unless notification of an appearance has been given as provided above, the tentative ruling shall become the ruling of the court the day of the hearing at the beginning of the calendar, absent an appearance made in response to the notice by publication.
To Join Department 18 “Zoom” Online
Meeting ID: 838-5609-8726
To Join Department 18 “Zoom” By Phone:
By Phone (same meeting ID and password as listed for each calendar)
(669) 900-6833 US (San Jose)
Guide for Participating in Court Proceedings via Zoom for Dept. 18:
- After joining the meeting and checking in with the clerk, please mute your audio when not speaking. This helps keep background noise to a minimum.
- Be mindful of background noise when your microphone is not muted. Avoid activities that could create additional noise, such as shuffling papers.
- Position your camera properly if you choose to use a web camera. Be sure it is in a stable position and focused at eye level, if possible. Make sure everything visible in the frame is appropriate for an appearance in court.
- If a confidential session becomes necessary it is incumbent on you to ensure you are able to participate from a private location so that unauthorized people cannot overhear or see the proceedings.
- Chat is enabled for the sharing of documents among participants and the court and to allow attorneys to communicate individually with each other or their clients only. No chat messages should be sent privately to the court as it would amount to an unauthorized ex parte communication. Neither should chat messages be sent to all participants unless directed by the court.
- The recording function has been disabled. Remember, the prohibition against recording court proceedings, even remote ones, remains.
- Be patient. Check in will take more time and the experience from those who have tried this before is that proceedings are a little slower generally.
How to Obtain Copies of Your Order
If a Petition for Name Change is approved, the Decree Changing Name (Order after Hearing) will be signed and processed within one to two business days following the hearing. The options to obtain a copy are:
- Pick up a copy or copies at the Civil Clerk’s Office anytime during normal business hours. Certified copies may also be purchased at the Clerk’s office.
- If you e-filed your documents and paid in advance for postage and a certified copy or copies of the Decree Changing Name, they will be mailed to you after the hearing.
- If you filed your documents in person and provided a self-addressed stamped envelope and either paid in advance or provided a check for a certified copy or copies of the Decree Changing, they will be mailed to you in that postage paid envelope after the hearing.
Change of Name or Gender
1. PETITION OF KYLE BERRY
Tentative Ruling: APPROVED-No appearance required.
CHANGE OF NAME